Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Lost Scissors



The story I am going to tell you is true and I wanted to share what we learned from it.
I have a pair of orange-handled scissors in my office that I use regularly for all kinds of things, like trimming booklets, cutting wrapping paper for gifts, removing tags from clothing, cutting out crafts, cutting lace and ribbon for crafts... and the list is endless.
However, lately I used them to wound my son. And that is what I wanted to write about today.

My son was asked to do a bulletin board at church recently and while he was gathering materials to create his masterpiece, he borrowed my scissors and promised to return them as soon as he was done.  When he arrived home it was late. He just dropped the box off in his room and forgot about those scissors that he borrowed. In the meantime, other projects had taken place and we both forgot about who had them last. To my memory, he was the last one to use them, but his memory was telling him that he did not have them. 

Months passed and I was missing my scissors. I had to use the ones in the kitchen that were not as nice and did not fit my hand as well. To top that, they were dull, old, and black-handled. I wanted my sharp orange-handled scissors back.  I accused him of being careless with my stuff and I wanted him to replace what he lost. In the meantime, he searched and searched in his room with no success. I searched the office and other places in the house without success. I finally told him, "Okay, buddy, You are going to buy me a new pair." I grumbled and scolded. 

Just a couple of days ago when I was looking for some lace to complete a project that I was working on, I found the scissors at the bottom of the bag. I was speechless for a moment. How in the world did they end up there?!!! I knew for certain that he had to used them last. I was right...and I was his mom, after all. I know that I did not have them last.....

I called my son into the office and closed the door. I sheepishly pulled the scissors from behind my back and said, "I'm sorry." His mouth dropped open in surprise at the sight of the scissors. Instantly, he hugged me and forgave me as relief flooded his face. He, who declared his innocence all along, was exonerated. I, who had falsely accused him, had egg on my face. He was right. I was wrong. He was innocent, but I wasn't. The situation was not at all like it seemed.

So, what did I learn from this?
  • Don't be quick to point fingers and place blame on others. They may be innocent, after all.
  • Be quick to admit when you are wrong and say, "I'm sorry."
  • Be quick to forgive. He was falsely accused and felt hurt by what happened, yet forgave and let go of the situation.
As for me, once I got the egg off my face and made things right, I walked on up the road of life a little wiser with the lesson learned. He offered grace and forgiveness to me that I didn't deserve. 

What about you? Do you have some "lost scissors" in your life? I honestly thought that I was right and he was wrong. I grumbled and mumbled about it for months, yet in that moment of revelation, I was not as innocent as I thought I was. 

At a wedding that we attended last weekend the preacher gave a little bit of advice to the bride and groom. "If you are wrong, say, 'I'm sorry'. If you are right, shut up!" Good advice.  It'll keep egg off your face.

Thanks for reading.
Donna McHugh




No comments:

Post a Comment