Monday, July 29, 2013

Walk a Mile In His Shoes


We have all heard that old saying, "Don't judge until you walk a mile in his moccasins." We never know what the other person is going
through.


 Recently, God taught me a lesson about this. I made a special treat for a friend and I gave it to her. Another friend came along and wanted it so she gave it to them. She really wanted it for herself, but sacrificed it so another could have the special treat. She knew that I would make her another one, so she felt free to give it up to the other person.

When she told this to me, I was upset because I wanted her to have the treat, not the other person whom I had told that they could not have it earlier.

It bothered me at what they did and I grumbled to God about it.  He listened to me for a while, then said calmly, "That person may have really been hungry...." And He went on to remind me of the circumstances that the person has been facing recently. 

He said, "What would happen if you were walking in their shoes right now?"

That made me stop and think a bit. I would not have wanted to have happen to me what that person is going through. I would not want to walk in their shoes because they are facing a lot of difficult circumstances right now.  

In the devotional book called, Grace For The Moment, by Max Lucado, He wrote these words under the May 8 devotional.

  "Get Out of the Judgement Seat"

We condemn a man for stumbling this morning, but we didn't see the blows
he took yesterday.
We judge a woman for the limp in her walk, but cannot see the tack in her shoe.
We mock the fear in their eyes, but have no idea how many stones they have ducked or darts that they have dodged.

Are they too loud?  Perhaps they fear being neglected again.
Are they too timid? Perhaps they fear failing again.
Too slow? Perhaps they fell the last time they hurried.
You don't know. Only one who has followed yesterday's steps can be their judge....."

It is so easy to judge without knowing all of the facts. Jesus said simply, "Don't do it! That is His job, not ours."

So, I had to offer grace and forgiveness to that person and to my friend. She knew that I would make her another treat if I knew the circumstances. 

By walking a mile in another's shoes we see things a bit differently. We see things that we did not see before. And...maybe after a while you will develop blisters on your toes because the shoes are not made for you! By the end of the mile you will be literally footsore and weary!

Wear your own shoes. Walk your own mile. You cannot walk for another. The road is only wide enough for you and one other person, Jesus Christ. He will carry your load and theirs, too. 

I have heard an old radio preacher say, "Walk with the King today and be a blessing!"
That is good advice for today!

Thanks for reading.

Donna McHugh
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment